POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: A box with no lights. : Re: A box with no lights. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A box with no lights.
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 24 Jan 1999 00:53:34
Message: <36AAB5EF.A1F019CC@Kopp.com>
I think you'd find a lot more noise in the image (and it would probably be
a lot slower).  What I was thinking was this:

Right now, when POV takes samples, it averages them and saves just the
color.  It could, however, save the direction/brightness of each sample.
Then, instead of just doing a weighted-average of nearby points to
interpolate in-between colors, you would reuse the individual samples.
With knowledge of both direction and brightness, you could calculate
diffuse, phong, and specular components.  This might be considerable slower
(100+ samples per intersection), but probably not a great deal slower, since
you would be reusing samples instead of tracing them.  Going through a 'for'
loop 100 times doing a few dot products each time is not _that_ time
consuming.

I would keep an option of the current version, though, for speed reasons.
I also think it is important to generalize radiosity a little bit more, so
that it works for reflections (like the furry cat picture in the latest
IRTC) and allows more recursion depth.

Right now I'm working on the photon map stuff, but this is interesting
enough for me to play with it too.  :-)

-Nathan